Adobe pdf version of this page for easy downloading, printing and emailing:
How the Helium Balloon Race Works
Tickets are sold to your customers. Each ticket is then attached to a helium gas filled balloon which is released into the atmosphere. The race organizers then wait for the race tickets to be posted back to them and it is calculated which heliumballoon has travelled the furthest distance. It is normal for a main prize to be awarded to the actual finder (to encourage them to post back the tickets).
We supply race tickets.
A Helium Balloon Race is classed as a lottery so you ought to obtain the relevant license from your local authority.
All balloons supplied by us are 100% biodegradeable.
Helium Balloon Gas
To avoid accidents ensure that you read and follow all the safety instructions when handling helium gas cylinders. You will be provided with a pressure reducing/filling valve with the helium cylinder. Balloons should be slightly under inflated because the gas inside will expand as the balloons rise in altitude. A single wire loop of about 10 inches in diameter should be rigged up to act as an inflation gauge to ensure equal filling as well as control gas consumption. Alternatively, the balloons could be filled between two cardboard boxes or something similar set at 10 inches apart.
Helium gas permeates the rubber film much more quickly than air. A gas filled 10 inch balloon will float for approximately 6-8 hours. It is prudent therefore to delay inflation until immediately prior to use. 12 inch balloons will float for longer than 10 inch balloons, but it should be noted that they require nearly twice as much gas to fill.
Making the Helium Balloon Race Successful
There is quite a lot of work involved in running a helium balloon race, but if it is done properly it can prove quite profitable.
The following suggestions should help.
1. Decide how many tickets you intend to sell and do some costings to make sure you charge enough money to cover the cost of the balloons, tickets, helium gas and prizes and leave a profit. We advise £1.00.
2. Sell as many tickets as you can before the day of the race. If you are from a school we advise that you give each child in the school 5 tickets x 200 children = £1000.00. Award a small prize to the child that sells the most tickets (a popular incentive is to allow the child that sells the most tickets to release the balloons).
3. Make sure you have plenty of helpers to assist in the filling and knotting of the helium balloons.
4. Always make sure all helium balloons are released in your sight. Don't allow customers to take their helium balloons away as you leave yourself open to fiddles (e.g., they may detach the ticket and then post it to a relative/friend who lives, miles away!).
5. Reduce your cost by purchasing our own balloons. They have our logo and phone number on them and we charge less for these than our normal balloons. We can of course supply helium balloons in your school/club colours and have them printed.
6. Sell helium balloons on strings to people as an additional source of income. There are always people who want a helium balloon to take home.
Releases of over 5,000 balloons need to be cleared in advance by the relevant air traffic controllers.
BRISTOL’S LARGEST INDEPENDENT GAS SUPPLIER
ABOUT US | AIR-CONDITIONING | AUTOGAS SALES | BALLOON GAS (HELIUM) | BALLOON PARTY ACCESSORIES | BALLOON PRINTING | BALLOON RACING TIPS | BARBECUES FOR HIRE | BLASTEVENTHIRE | BOTTLED GAS | BULLFINCH | BULLFINCH & SIEVERT TORCHES | BULLFINCH FURNACES | BUSINESS HOURS | CALOR LITE & HANDYGAS | CAMPING GAZ | CATERING BARBEQUES | CELLAR GAS | CONTACT US | DELIVERY AREA | DOWNLOADS | FAQ | FIND US | FORK LIFT TRUCKS | GAS FITTINGS & ACCESSORIES | GAS HEATERS | GAS PATIO HEATERS | GAS REGULATORS | HELIUM PARTY BALLOONS | HOME | HOME GAS SYSTEM | INDUSTRIAL & DIY GASES | LPG | LEGAL NOTICE | LEISURE, CAMPING & CATERING | MANUFACTURERS | MOBILE GAS HEATERS | NEW ACCOUNT APPLICATION | NEWS | OUR PRODUCTS | PARTY GOODS ONLINE SHOP | SAFETY & EMERGENCY | SERVICING OF PORTABLE GAS APPLIANCES |